[off-topic] Re: What do perl lovers like about python?

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Thu Aug 23 11:12:37 BST 2007

Otávio Fernandes wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Do you want something like this ?!
>
> import my.module method
> import my.another method
>
> and use the same methods from tow different modules ?

No, for example, take DBI and DBD.

DBD is a top-level package/namespace that contains lots of other
modules, like DBD::Informix, DBD::Solid, DBD::mSQL etc.

These sub packages are created by different people, at different times,
but they all co-exist quite happily becasue the only thing you need to
be aware of are namespace clashes.

With python, if you need anything done in the __init__.py then this
system breaks down because they may all want to modify it.

My concrete problem with this was when playing with the omniORB Python
bindings.

I've used omniORB before and love it, so I was going to use the python
bindings to do some work.

The problem is that the IDL compiler does funky stuff in the __init__.py
file, so I can't have all of my code under a single tree, which rankles.

I'd like to have:

mymodule/
          generated_code/
          handwritten_code/