[on topic] Beer

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Sun Aug 26 08:47:48 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 16:27 +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> Dear experts, are these the two closest pubs owned by Fullers in the
> london.pm catchment area? Or in fact, the closest two pubs owned by any one
> brewery?

An interesting one that I had forgotten about until yesterday was in
Rochester. There are three pubs next too each other around a corner
here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=51.390088,0.503536&spn=0.000731,0.002725&t=k&z=19&om=1&msid=106834988070133488892.0004389501af59e5fffc7

Ye Arrowe and The Jolly Knight although originally separate
establishments now form a single pub by being joined by a corridor and
sharing toilets and surround the Kings Head on two sides (the other
sides being street.) Not bad pubs either.

Rochester, despite the bad rep of the Medway area in general, is quite
nice and the high street makes for a leisurely little pub crawl with
about ten or so drinking establishments and unlike it's neighbours
doesn't appear to be populated by, er, chavs[1]. It is also a good place
if you are interested in old musical instruments for some reason - the
Oxfam had four pianos in it yesterday.

[1] obviously Chatham is though.

/J\
--