[on topic] Beer

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 22:37:31 BST 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 08:47:48AM +0100, Jonathan Stowe typed:

> Rochester, despite the bad rep of the Medway area in general, is quite
> nice and the high street makes for a leisurely little pub crawl with
> about ten or so drinking establishments and unlike it's neighbours
> doesn't appear to be populated by, er, chavs[1]. It is also a good place
> if you are interested in old musical instruments for some reason - the
> Oxfam had four pianos in it yesterday.
>
> [1] obviously Chatham is though.

Other plus points of Rochester are that it's well supplied with large and
cheap secondhand bookshops and has an excellent cathedral and castle visible
from both the A2 and the Eurostar.

According to Dickens' unfinished last novel it had opium dens in
Victorian times as well, although I can only vouch for the tea room
on the High Street.

--
Steve Mynott <steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk>