NLP followup

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Tue Nov 13 18:03:11 GMT 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Aidan Samuel wrote:

> I never understood why "they" thought 80-col
> wrapping was necessary. If the creating program was capable of
> wrapping text, why wasn't the displaying program?

Some public email archives wrap plain-text email in <pre> tags, but
that causes problems with unwrapped messages.  I see a lot less of
that these days, but what seems to be commonplace now is the removal
of all indentation, making inline patches very difficult too grok.
What's the solution?  I know some people who run an otherwise nice
archive that I'd like to send a suggestion to.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/