Laptop Recommendations

Adrian Howard adrianh at quietstars.com
Wed Nov 28 17:51:03 GMT 2007

On 28 Nov 2007, at 17:13, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 04:40:08PM +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> [...]
>> I state this opinion as the person who got to sort out every mac that
>> broke at Fotango over a 12 month period.
>
> I just walked into the Apple Store on Regent Street, slapped the
> broken
> machine on the counter, filled in a couple of bits of paper and
> left them to
> it. I was told that the spare part was out of stock and it might
> take over a
> fortnight - five days later I get a phone call telling me it's
> ready to
> collect.
>
> What were you doing wrong?

Possibly "be a corporate customer".

My experience of personal Mac support has been good-to-excellent. My
experience of trying to get stuff exchanged/fixed as a company has
been okay-to-lousy.... and I say that as a moderately raving Mac
bigot for a good ten or so years :-)

I'm sorry but I really do _not_ want to have to get my support dude
spend 3hrs of their day getting to/from an Apple Store to get
something fixed.

In the good old days this was more than made up by the fact that the
hardware very rarely broke (in my experience anyway). Stuff seems to
fail a bit often these days though - so it becomes more of a pain.

As ever YMMV...

Adrian