Any Embperl / Modperl hosting ?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sat Feb 23 18:11:01 GMT 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 02:54:21PM +0000, abhishek jain wrote:
> On 2/13/08, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > abhishek jain wrote:

> > > i am using it on http://delhi.pm.org
> >
> > The next obvious question is "why?" :-)
>

> i am using embperl is as this is the only template system i know, would you
> like to recommend one system i should prefer. i like embperl a lot not sure
> why is it not getting the appreciation it deserves !

Strictly speaking, embperl is not a templating system; it is a way of
embedding perl in html pages.  You can use it in the same way as you
would use a templating system, if you apply very careful discipline, but
why bother when proper templating systems are more powerful, more
flexible and don't have the same weaknesses.

I would say, in fact, that Embperl is almost the opposite of a
templating system.  Usually, one of the virtues of templating systems is
that they separate application logic from presentation logic, which is
generally seen as a Good Thing.  In contrast, Embperl seems to be an
attempt to mix those things together, more like PHP, which many people
(including me) would see as a step backward.

As a rule, I don't want my templating system to be able to do the kind
of things that the full Perl language can do;  complexities should
mostly be on the application logic side and the presentation logic
rarely needs that kind of power.  In its default configuration, Template
Toolkit does not let you make arbitrary system calls from your
templates and that really is a Good Thing.  TT does let you embed perl
in your templates if you really want to (just set EVAL_PERL) but if
you find yourself doing that regularly then you should probably
reexamine your design.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.