Better Perl

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Apr 7 18:34:12 BST 2008

On 4/7/08, ben at bpfh.net <ben at bpfh.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:04:21PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>  >
>  >There's a difference between 'business relies on X' and 'business uses
>  >X'. Sure MS use Perl, so do Google, and Amazon. Do either company
>  >_remotely_ rely on it? No. (I'd be curious to hear from people working
>  >in finance who use other languages what perl's role in the finance
>  >world actually is. There seems to generally be a lot of overstatement
>  >of perl's use in certain businesses in this thread.)
>

> In my opinion, it would be serious misconduct on the part of anyone
>  who worked for a financial institution to discuss the inner workings
>  of systems in sufficient depth to satisfy this thread on a publicly
>  archived list.

Well then, I'm sure we'd be happy to hear from anyone no longer
working at a financial institution ;-)

Or, joking aside, information revealed that's within their sense of conscience.

I find it hard to imagine a statement like "yes, actually it's used
quite considerably" or "no, it's really not used all that much" any
kind of a threat to their corporate hegemony...