Better Perl

Paul Johnson paul at pjcj.net
Mon Apr 7 23:13:56 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:34:12PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On 4/7/08, ben at bpfh.net <ben at bpfh.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:04:21PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> >  >
> >  >There's a difference between 'business relies on X' and 'business uses
> >  >X'. Sure MS use Perl, so do Google, and Amazon. Do either company
> >  >_remotely_ rely on it? No. (I'd be curious to hear from people working
> >  >in finance who use other languages what perl's role in the finance
> >  >world actually is. There seems to generally be a lot of overstatement
> >  >of perl's use in certain businesses in this thread.)
> >

> > In my opinion, it would be serious misconduct on the part of anyone
> >  who worked for a financial institution to discuss the inner workings
> >  of systems in sufficient depth to satisfy this thread on a publicly
> >  archived list.
>
> Well then, I'm sure we'd be happy to hear from anyone no longer
> working at a financial institution ;-)
>
> Or, joking aside, information revealed that's within their sense of conscience.

Ooh, show and tell!  I'll go first.

This is how Perl is used in the heady world of international finance.
Or at least as much as I am allowed to reveal under Swiss banking
secrecy laws.

  http://www.pjcj.net/yapc/yapc-eu-2007-glueing-a-bank-together/slides/

Surprisingly enough, those are the slides from my 2007 presentation
"Glueing A Bank Together" at YAPC::Eu in Vienna.

[ Note to future employers:  I recieved permission from all the right
  people to say all the things I said. ]

OK, now it's your turn.

Tell us something exciting about how Google is using dynamic languages.

Paul Johnson - paul at pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net