svk v git + possible gig

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon Sep 8 18:34:45 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 05:59:26PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Has anyone used perforce? Do you also think it makes the OSS VCS look
> especially weak?

I am much happier with its merge support than raw subversion, or subversion
(1.4) + svn-merge.py. I've not yet tried subversion 1.5 on this front.

Apart from that, perforce generally annoys me because

a: it defaults to "whole checkout" rather than "this directory downwards",
   which can confuse me, and makes it damn hard to have 2+ checkouts on one
   machine
b: the architectural arrogance of the "you don't need a command to reliably
   reverse a changeset" (and how integration of an add and then an edit works)
c: because it's most definitely not offline

I haven't really worked with branches in git or svk.
Nor have I used the visual tools in any of them.

So, I from what I do, I wouldn't say that perforce makes the current OSS tools
I've used seem weak, let alone especially weak.

Nicholas Clark