Is -C useless?

Paul Johnson paul at pjcj.net
Fri Sep 12 01:11:49 BST 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:28:22AM +0100, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:19:17 +0200
> Paul Johnson <paul at pjcj.net> wrote:
>
> > since the standard streams are already set up
> >   at this point in the execution of the perl interpreter. You can use
> >   binmode() instead to get the desired behaviour.
>
> Waaait a moment.
>
> Why can't -C just call binmode itself?
>
> This is getting stupider by the moment.

Weeeeell.  As I recall (in other words, don't blame me if I'm wrong), the
problem wasn't that it couldn't be made to work, but rather than no one could
be found who had the time, ability and inclination to make it work.  But
stopping it being broken was easier.

Perhaps you are that person?  You certainly seem to be at least one third of
the way there.

Paul Johnson - paul at pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net