Drobo and DroboShare experiences

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue Dec 9 15:25:21 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 09:55:28AM +0000, James Laver said:
> the FAT32 driver doesn't appear to exist on my leopard install.

Oh, the Mini can see it. And can share other drives. It just won't
reshare FAT32 drives.

Now, (and correct me if I'm wrong here) since OSX uses Samba and Samba
doesn't care about the underlying FS then Apple must have put code in to
check to see if it's a FAT32 (and/or NTFS?) FS and then explicitly block
it.

Which just seems weird. Or, as I said, spiteful.

More charitably - Apple have hacked Samba in some way to handle resource
forks and the changes cause problems with FAT32 systems beyond leaving
the .Trashes and .DS_Store droppings around everywhere. Although I
can't possibly think what they are - maybe some sort of optimisation
based on keeping inodes around for fast lookup a la Facebook

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/08/06/25/148203.shtml

possibly to solve the exact problem I've been seeing. But that seems
unlikely. And why not fall back to normal 'slow' sharing?