Copyright Theft (was Re: # and believe me, Perl is still alive... still alive!...)

Paul Orrock paulo at digitalcraftsmen.net
Wed Dec 10 13:28:13 GMT 2008

Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> <Excised the URL to copyright violating material>
>
> I'll put your attempt to get us to participate in copyright theft down
> to naivete, stupidity or youthful enthusiasm but please do not do this
> again.

Firstly I completely agree on the issues around copyright theft itself and
that the link should not have been posted.

> had assumed that everyone on this list had reached a level of
> sophistication where they realized this was the prevailing viewpoint,
> I'm sorry to discover that I am wrong.

Secondly I find myself surprised that in a discussion that is all about
leniency and being welcoming and not biting peoples heads off that you make
such a blanket assumption that the original poster was doing this
deliberately in full knowledge that it was copyright theft.

Had I discovered that site myself, via google (it appears as the third link
for programming perl) I would have made the assumption that it was a legal
site since I imagine ORA have lawyers that are looking for copyright
violations and would be great at getting Google to remove it even if they
can't get it removed from the ukranian server.

Yet again I find myself shaking my head in sadness at this list because yet
again someone has used a very large mallet to beat down an unknown poster
who was making a very valid point (he just happened to link to copyrighted
material, which yes he shouldn't have done) but he gets a huge long
diatribe rather than a simple "not sure if you realised but that site is
hosting that material illegally, please don't link to it again"

P.