Copyright Theft (was Re: # and believe me, Perl is still alive... still alive!...)

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:54:57 GMT 2008

2008/12/10 Paul Orrock <paulo at digitalcraftsmen.net>:
> Secondly I find myself surprised that in a discussion that is all about
> leniency and being welcoming and not biting peoples heads off that you make
> such a blanket assumption that the original poster was doing this
> deliberately in full knowledge that it was copyright theft.

He didn't make a blanket assumption, he put it down to being naive or
something else
(and TBH you'd have to be to not realise it was obviously copyright
infringement).

> Had I discovered that site myself, via google (it appears as the third link
> for programming perl) I would have made the assumption that it was a legal
> site since I imagine ORA have lawyers that are looking for copyright
> violations and would be great at getting Google to remove it even if they
> can't get it removed from the ukranian server.

Now, you're being naive. It's pretty obviously dodgy.

> Yet again I find myself shaking my head in sadness at this list because yet
> again someone has used a very large mallet to beat down an unknown poster
> who was making a very valid point (he just happened to link to copyrighted
> material, which yes he shouldn't have done) but he gets a huge long diatribe
> rather than a simple "not sure if you realised but that site is hosting that
> material illegally, please don't link to it again"

Actually he got that.

There was no diatribe, just a strict notice forbidding posting urls to
such blatent copyright infringements.

That's not harsh or unreasonable.

A.

--