london.pm.org web site - facelifted (v2)

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Sun Dec 14 20:57:41 GMT 2008

Nigel Rantor wrote:
> I've already poked Andy about this when he put up the initial version.

Here's my reply to Nigel, for the benefit of anyone else interested.

<reply>

Yes.  I've always been a fluid-layout kinda guy.  800x600 is annoyingly
narrow when you've got a large monitor, so a fluid layout was a big win when
you had to assume a minimum width of 800px.

But these days, it's considered "officially" OK to assume that 1024x768 is
the lowest common denominator for screen width, which gives you a nicely sized
bit of content-space to play with.  Making it fluid upwards of that tends to
result in wide wide columns that are hard to read.  So although I used to be
staunchly anti-fixed width, I guess I've now been swayed towards them.

Making it fluid might be a bit tricky, but probably do-able.  I'll have a
think about it.

</reply>

I did have a play with it, but it was hard to make it look half-decent with
the non-repeating header.  So it was a case of junking the header (which
I really liked) or spending a lot of time creating separate layers and
building up a sliding doors effect.  That would have been really nice if I
could have got the parallax effect to work (like on badgerpower.com - resize
the window and watch the clouds), but I couldn't.  At least not in the time
I had.

Anyway, the site *does* have both fixed and fluid layouts.  It's just that
the fluid layout doesn't have the non-repeating header or the sidebars.  :-)