london.pm.org web site - facelifted (v2)

Dominic Thoreau dominic.thoreau at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 14 21:17:12 GMT 2008

2008/12/14 Andy Wardley <abw at wardley.org>:
> But these days, it's considered "officially" OK to assume that 1024x768 is
> the lowest common denominator for screen width, which gives you a nicely
> sized
> bit of content-space to play with.  Making it fluid upwards of that tends to
> result in wide wide columns that are hard to read.  So although I used to be
> staunchly anti-fixed width, I guess I've now been swayed towards them.

Can I please point out (if just for my own personal feeling of
self-justification), that no, it isn't always appropriate to do this?

On ultra-portable netbooks (like my Eee) and on mobile phones, this
sort of approach can make navigation impossible.

If you could guarantee that full-blown machines would be all  that was
ever used, maybe. But this is simply not true. Plus the dot pitch is
different, which can really screw up some layouts.

Dominic
--
No train here, but still:
The sign says: "Ready to Leave"