london.pm.org web site - facelifted (v2)

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Sun Dec 14 21:59:40 GMT 2008

Dominic Thoreau wrote:
> If you could guarantee that full-blown machines would be all  that was
> ever used, maybe. But this is simply not true. Plus the dot pitch is
> different, which can really screw up some layouts.

True.  I should have quantified that a bit better as referring to typical
desktop machines.  Doing the job properly for mobile content usually requires
targeting them with a different stylesheet altogether and a bit of WURFL
magic. Trying to make one design work on all platforms is usually a lost
cause in my experience (but I know a man who can sell you a very nice mobile
content management and delivery platform if you're interested in that kind
of thing).

So yes, I accept that it's sub-optimal, but it's Good Enough[tm] for a Sunday
afternoon hack (especially seeing as there *is* a fluid layout in there that
you can use if you want it).