Anyone hiring at the moment?

Richard Foley Richard.Foley at rfi.net
Tue Sep 22 10:05:58 BST 2009

Yep, definitely: good people make good jobs, and bad people make bad jobs.
Or, in other words, you can still enjoy, and succeed at, a bad job so long as
you have good people, but not the other way around.  Also, if you're working
remote only rarely, and then people are breathing down your neck, they're
probably not trusting you as a professional to get the job done.  That's not
the right atmosphere for a solid working relationship.

What's crucial to making remote working work, is communication.  A decent
spec. (short but accurate), and reasonable milestones, followed by
communication and mutual feedback.  Sounds like a pipe-dream, in the office
or out, doesn't it ?-)  It can happen though, you just have to strive for it.

I don't think for a moment that remote working suits everybody either, some
folk need the people-contact and the razzmataz of office life, not me.  Maybe
I'm just an anti-social git.  Also, unless I live near work, (which I don't
usually), remote working means I get to spend quality time with my family, at
least some of the time, and to me that's very important.  I don't live to
work.

ps. I didn't mean to criticize booking.com in any particular way with my
remarks, I've never worked for them, I was simply taking a swipe at
(project?) managers in general and their seeming inability to think outside
the box.  JFTR.

pps. and back on topic: I'll also be looking for a new contract in the new
year, and am hoping to find a, at least partially, remote one.  Hand
on 'phone, and fingers crossed...

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen