Anyone hiring at the moment?

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Tue Sep 22 10:24:33 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:05:16AM +0200, Richard Foley wrote:
> What, relocate to Amsterdam, whatever for?  Without investigation, I'd be
> prepared to bet that booking.com does most of it's "booking" online,
> remotely.  So almost the entire client base is remote, all transactions
> completed online, it's entire business model is remote.  Except the
> workers...

You can't really compare customers and employees. The company cares
about each customer, one at a time (kind of a one-to-one relationship),
while employees usually work in a team.

As much as I like working from Lyon, in an office within walking distance
from home, and while not dismissing the usefulness of Skype and VNC
(we do some kind of "remote pair programming" in my team), nothing beats
talking face-to-face with your fellow developers to bring up new ideas
on topics you didn't have the slightest notion before actually being
with them in the office (or in front of the coffee machine).

My best days are the ones I spend in Amsterdam (even though I don't
get that much actual work done then). I usually come back with 3 months
worth of projects and ideas (and I go there twice a month).

Telecommuting is great, as long as you commute often enough to keep
in sync with the rest of the teams.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Honesty is its own reward. Dishonesty is its own punishment.