Last Straw. Camel's Back. Etc.

Denny 2009 at denny.me
Thu Oct 1 17:11:05 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 08:45 +0100, Andrew Black wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 07:19:00AM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> >
> > Having spent 45 minutes failing to get through to Demon's tech support
> > people last night I've finally come to the realisation that they aren't
> > still the company that I signed up with fifteen years ago and that I
> > should probably be looking elsewhere for my internet connection. I'll be
> > calling them later this morning to get a MAC.
>
> I came to that conclusion in 02.  Maybe they are even less like their
> former self now.
>
> I am happy with Andrews and Arnold.  very helpful staff,

I found A&A were lovely, but didn't have much in the way of official
non-office-hours support.  My line failed on Friday while I was at work
(which they duly notified me of by SMS), and by the time I could get
home and do trouble-shooting that evening, the first time they could
respond to my report was Monday midday.  They seemed good in all other
respects though.

I'm currently with Be*, who provide me with an impressively consistent
9-10Mb connection speed regardless of time of day.  I'm trying not to
feel too cheated that they couldn't hold up their pre-sale estimate of
20Mb - apparently I'm further from the exchange (as the cable flies)
than BT told Be* I was.

I have in the past had Virgin Media's '20Mb' cable service at this
address - it never managed >2Mb in the evenings, and often dropped below
1Mb.  Apparently their contention ratios are rather high.  Avoid.