Xcode 4.0.2 and XS modules

Sue Spence sue at pennine.com
Sat Apr 23 13:46:12 BST 2011

On 22 April 2011 22:20, Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:
> Apple, evil bastards that they are, don't ship with GCC installed. You
> have to install Xcode to get it. And now, because apparently raping
> puppies to death with nuns or whatever it is they do for fun, isn't
> sufficiently evil you have to buy Xcode. True it's only $4 but it's
> still a giant fuck you.

Hmm, I think that's new.  Looks like I can get it without paying
because I'm in their developer program (also not free, but $work paid
for it).  I'm slightly surprised they are bothering to charge for it,
but Apple are like that.  If you want everything to be free, linux is
that way --->

> What's even worse is that apparently the version you can buy - 4.0.2 -
> doesn't come with a PPC assembler. Which would be fine. Except that the
> system Perl is built *with* arch ppc. So now no CPAN modules with XS
> will build.
>
> Beyond installing my own Perl

Do this.  Best to ignore the system Perl IMO.  I have at least 2 other
Perls on my macbook. :-)