Xcode 4.0.2 and XS modules

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Sat Apr 23 15:25:36 BST 2011

On Saturday, April 23, 2011, Sue Spence <sue at pennine.com> wrote:
> On 22 April 2011 22:20, Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:
>> Apple, evil bastards that they are, don't ship with GCC installed. You
>> have to install Xcode to get it. And now, because apparently raping
>> puppies to death with nuns or whatever it is they do for fun, isn't
>> sufficiently evil you have to buy Xcode. True it's only $4 but it's
>> still a giant fuck you.
>
> Hmm, I think that's new.  Looks like I can get it without paying
> because I'm in their developer program (also not free, but $work paid
> for it).  I'm slightly surprised they are bothering to charge for it,
> but Apple are like that.  If you want everything to be free, linux is
> that way --->

They'll probably argue it's accounting rules. Xcode 4 is a
substantially different IDE from version 3, so they'll claim that they
are obliged to charge for it if you want to run it on OS versions
prior to Lion. Hence the (surely not meaningfully profitable) low
price. XCode 3 doesnt work on Lion, so I'm sure that the final discs
will ship with it included and upgrades (until XCode 5 at least) will
be free. I'm not saying it's right, but it is consistent with the
reasoning Apple have given for charging for iOS upgrades etc.

But yeah, build your own Perl. It's not like perlbrew makes it hard.