Project management

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 11:51:03 GMT 2013

I'd also suggest finding yourself a mentor in your organization - it
might not even be inside the IT function, my mentor was head of
findance, and maybe have a first chat about what the various
stakeholders (and i dont mean just the business) want to get out of a
successful project. In my experience the best thing that scrum
meetings/etc. bring is honesty - somethings are easy, but still take 4
or 8 hours, somethings don't take the 2 weeks, but getting a good
relationship between business and engineering is the key. And getting
engineers to appreciate the project manager's role is key and often
this comes out of being ready to be wrong with estimates, with a no
blame culture.

It's amazing how cheap some of the best motivators are, when i was at
a well known ISP the project manager used to make a point of getting
me to talk to the head of customer care, because once i put a human
face on the problem i wanted to solve it more. It was a cheap trick,
but it worked and it's ok later her, I and another london.pm'er had a
little date with a roll of duct tape ;-).

G.