Why I give up my talk in YAPC

Denny 2013 at denny.me
Wed Jul 3 18:05:58 BST 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 12:46 -0400, Mark Fowler wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 at 11:10, Daniel de Oliveira Mantovani wrote:
> > in #perl at freenode
>
> freenode is…well, freenode.  Most people on this list would not consider
> it the 'home' of Perl on irc.

Both #perl and #perl6 on freenode are considerably larger than the same
channels on irc.perl.org - they're representing the Perl community, like
it or not.  In fact, according to perl6.org it would appear that
freenode is the official home of Perl 6 on IRC.

It might be worth noting that it is possible for projects to assert
ownership of channels on freenode, due to our* rather weird namespace
policies, so in theory it would be possible for Perl's leadership (such
as it is) to decide to make the #perl channel there a nicer place to
visit... although I imagine the fallout from taking any such action
would be hugely tedious.

> We mainly use irc.perl.org (where we have our own #perl)

I got the distinct impression that it would be seriously cruel to direct
anyone who wanted to discuss Perl problems to that channel.

Regards,
Denny

* I'm part of the freenode staff team.