XP-Replacement for Parents

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Mar 27 16:46:27 GMT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 03:21:02PM +0000, Smylers wrote:

> Note my concerns weren't about the OS's user interface, but scanner
> support and a couple of decades' worth of WordPerfect documents.

Assuming that Ubuntu supports the scanner, WordPerfect could run inside
a WinXP VM. You might even be able to get the scanner working from
inside a VM. You then configger stuff so that the VM can only talk over
the network to the host machine, and set up some kind of shared
directory between the host and the VM.

Virtualbox FTW.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

"IMO, the primary historical significance of Unix is that it marks the
time in computer history where CPUs became so cheap that it was possible
to build an operating system without adult supervision."
                         -- Russ Holsclaw in a.f.c