XP-Replacement for Parents

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Mar 27 17:34:20 GMT 2014

David Cantrell writes:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 03:21:02PM +0000, Smylers wrote:
>
> > Note my concerns weren't about the OS's user interface, but scanner
> > support and a couple of decades' worth of WordPerfect documents.
>
> Assuming that Ubuntu supports the scanner, WordPerfect could run
> inside a WinXP VM.

Thank you for the suggestion; I hadn't thought of that.

Does that avoid the security problems with running XP directly?

Also, would the XP that came with the laptop work in a VM?

When I most recently bought myself a laptop it came with Windows, and I
enquired with knowledgeable Linux types about running it in VirtualBox.
They said that the OEM Windows I had was tied to running directly on the
hardware, and also its license wouldn't permit running it in a VM.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2