[ANNOUNCE] London Javascript Night - May 25th

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Wed Apr 26 18:35:17 BST 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:18:11AM -0700, Rob Bannocks wrote:
> Speaking presonally even reading the wikipedia page
> on AJAX gives me a hedache and a dizy set of TLS
> spinning menacingly arroung my head.  Of course I

`Basically, what "Ajax" means is "Javascript now works." '
         -- Paul Graham, http://www.paulgraham.com/web20.html

Another, narrower, point of view is that AJAX is Javascript that uses
the XMLHttpRequest (a fine xample of mixed-case identifiers, that)
object to make requests of the server, then updates the page in-place
instead of having to reload and rerender the whole page on each such
request.  Faster, more responsive.  The responses from the server may
be in XML, though it seems you can still call it AJAX even if they're
not.

In practice, acronym creep tends to mean that for most people the first
definition works out to be more accurate.

There.  That didn't take five minutes, did it?

-dan