Geekiest place on earth? (was Re: Big Geek Day Out)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Jun 15 15:22:33 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 02:46:21PM +0100, Billy Abbott wrote:
[...]
> The start of the train of events that led to me organising a trip there a
> few months back was a twitter discussion (naturally) over whether
> Forbidden Planet London could be considered a "geek mecca" or not.

Well, given there are branches of Forbidden Planet all over the UK, and they
only cater to SF&F nerds, perhaps not. If a genre-specific shop is
sufficient, why not Games Workship, Foyles, I Knit London, or the Vintage
House?

[...]
> The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley (http://tnmoc.org) is one of
> the geekiest places I've been for a long while. It certainly beat FP.

The BT Museum was very good, but alas it's closed now. I believe all the
exhibits went to the Telecommunications Heritage Group (THG) to be lovingly
maintained. Unsurprisingly, there's a fair overlap between THG members and
visitors to the TNMOC.

Perhaps we could also approach the THG with a view to fondling their
exhibits on a future date?